Here are the Borrowdale Gates hotel, our location makes us the perfect choice for fell walkers. When you step outside the hotel you are in the heart of the national park and there are many walks to discover and challenge.
Rosthwaite to Castle Crag Walk
In the middle of Borrowdale is Castle Crag. From its summit you can view up and down the valley and take in the spectacular views that are on offer. From its flanks you can experience the intimacy of the surrounding woods and river banks. Castle Crag is a rather small, perfectly formed little peak, a walk round and up it is a unique experience in the Lake District as no other valley in the area has a similar feature.
Essentially a low level walk but the ground is rough in parts and shelter can take time to get to so dress for higher fells.
- Grade: Time / Effort 1, Navigation 2, Technicality 2
- Start/Finish: Rosthwaite, GR NY257148 – parking at Rosthwaite or bus service from Keswick to Rosthwaite.
- Distance: 3.7 miles (6km)
- Time: 2 hours height gain 263m
- Superwalker: (1:25.000) Lakeland West, British Mountain Maps Lake District (1:40.000).
1. Turn right out of the car park and head along the lane to the River Derwent. Follow the path to New Bridge. Cross the bridge and follow the path into the woodland. The path leaves the river and climbs steadily through the trees. After 1km you will reach a junction with a bridleway.
2. Follow the stony bridleway as it climbs for 600m until just past the foot of the crags of Castle Crag to a steep path on the left.
3. Follow this path to a ladder stile. Continue along the path as it climbs to a col then as it zig-zags north to the summit of Castle Crag – take care near the quarry edges.
4. Back-track to the col then take the path that leads down to the side of the River Derwent. Join the path and follow it to New Bridge. Cross the bridge then retrace your steps back to Rosthwaite.
Come and discover this wonderful fell walk that will take your breath away. Remember to bring a camera, your photos will be a fantastic way to keep this special day in the forefront of your mind.
Personal Walking Instructor
If you would like a walking instructor, we can arrange for Mandy Granville from “Women Rock” to come to the hotel to show you what we have to offer here in the Lake District.
Book Your Stay With Us
Make the most of your trip to the Lakes by staying over with us in our luxury 4 Star hotel, set in the tranquil, stunning scenery of the Borrowdale Valley. We look forward to your visit.